So I am back! This week I have got a recipe for you from The Hummingbird bakery cookbook. I got this book for Christmas but it is one that I have been wanting to get for ages. There are so many recipes in this book that I want to try, so look out for more of them in the future. There is a few other recipes books by The Hummingbird Bakery available on amazon, all for around £5. Link to get it ---> http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hummingbird-Bakery-Cookbook-Tarek-Malouf/dp/1845978307/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1421609889&sr=8-1&keywords=hummingbird+bakery+cookbookSo here is the recipe I used (I added raspberries for a recipe that is a bit further down below!)
Pastry:
Ingredients:
-260g plain flour
-1/2 tsp salt
-110g unsalted butter
-cold water
Method:
1. Place the flour, salt and water into a mixer with the paddle attachment. Mix together until you get a sandy consistency.
2. Gradually, adding a tablespoon of water at a time, mix until it has become a smooth dough. (tip- it is better to beat on higher speed between each one to ensure that you don't add to much water.
3. Wrap in clingfilm and leave in the fridge for about 30mins.
4. Roll out on a floured surface until big enough to fit into your tin (I used a 22inch one), then place into your tin. (Another tip: don't cut away the excess until after you have blind-baked the pastry as it does shrink down a bit.)
5. Place a piece of baking paper into the pastry case and fill with baking beans.
6. Bake for 10 minutes in an oven preheated to 170 degrees Celsius.
Filling and Construction:
Ingredients:
-150g dark chocolate
-50g unsalted butter
-30ml/2tbsp golden syrup
-6 eggs
-300g soft light brown sugar
-1tsp vanilla extract
-350ml whipping cream (it works well with double cream as well)
Method:
1. Put the chocolate, butter and golden syrup into a hea proof bowl, over a pan of simmering water (Tip: it is important to make sure the bottom of the bowl doesn't touch the water otherwise the chocolate will burn)
2. Leave until melted and smooth, then remove from the heat and set aside to cool slightly.
3. While the chocolate mixture is cooling, place the eggs, sugar and vanilla extract in a freestanding mixer with a paddle attachment and beat until well combined.
4. Once the chocolate is cooled, gradually add into the egg mixture beating between each time.
5. Pour the chocolate mixture into the blind-baked pastry case then bake for 35-40mins.
6. Whip the cream with an electric whisk. Then pipe on to the cooled case however you like.
7. To decorate, I topped the cream with some fresh raspberries and a chopped up penguin bar but you can do whatever you like.
I have made this recipe twice now and both times we had people over for dinner. It was a real hit! The first time I made it, I didn't use the raspberries but I think they complemented it really nicely.
The reason for making this yesterday was because I need the pictures to complete an application for a competition that I came across at school. It is the 'Young Chef Of The Year' competition at Oaklands College. There is not much chance of me getting in but I will keep you guys posted if I hear anything.
Bye Guys,
Love Lauren xx
![]() |
| The Finished Recipe |
![]() |
| A close up shot |


No comments:
Post a Comment